December 21, 2010
President and CEO of the Sigma Chi Foundation, Greg Harbaugh sent out some interesting information in an email. I thought I’d recap it for those who may have not have seen it.
IN 2009 – 2010 THE SIGMA CHI FOUNDATION:
- Provided $125,000 in general academic scholarships, a 25% increase over the previous year.
- Provided $198,000 in academic scholarship grants through the many chapter-specific scholarship funds we manage on behalf of individual chapters.
- Reduced our operating expenses by 4% (a 23% reduction over the past three years).
Provided nearly $1.45 million in leadership program grants, which includes:
- 64% of the direct costs for Balfour Leadership Training Workshop.
- 100% of the Cornerstone mentor program.
- 100% of the Horizons leadership program.
- 100% of the Journey chapter retreat program.
- 100% of the Choices/Betty Ford Center alcohol and drug education program.
At the end they provided this stat:
- Less than 3% of all Sigma Chi alumni support the foundation – We need your support!
The email links here where all this information is available and asks you to contribute to the foundation. Are you a part of that 3%?
December 14, 2010
The International Sweetheart of Sigma Chi is a woman who serves as a role model for all of our brothers and a liaison of our Fraternity to non-members throughout the world. She must possess an understanding of the values and ideals for which the White Cross stands and exemplify these values and ideals in her daily life.
Honor your sweetheart at Grand Chapter this year! Nominate your chapter sweetheart for International Sweetheart – win or lose, the application you create for her will be something she will cherish for a lifetime. Applications for International Sweetheart are available now by clicking here (pdf). Completed applications are due via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2011.
Some tips from International Sweetheart, Alexa Stabler, ALABAMA 2009:
- Elect a brother in your chapter with the enthusiasm for this fun project to be the sweetheart chairman – maybe a new initiate or a 5th year senior who is not ready to let go of his undergraduate experience.
- Have your sweetheart chairman interview the chapter sweetheart to learn about her background and experiences.
- Work with your sweetheart to create an application that reflects her unique qualities and those of your chapter – it could be fun or serious, sentimental or silly, or a little bit of everything.
- Remember that the nomination itself is an honor for your chapter sweetheart!
PDF for International Sweetheart Submission Form
December 9, 2010
Deadline for applications is Jan. 15, 2011
Interested in serving as a facilitator for the 2011 Balfour Leadership Training Workshop? We are looking for capable alumni to serve on faculty for the largest undergraduate leadership training workshop in the Greek-letter world.
Applications for 2011 Balfour LTW faculty are due Jan. 15, 2011. Please note: previous participation on faculty does not constitute automatic re-selection.
If you previously served as a Balfour LTW faculty member, you will need to re-apply but only your personal contact information is required. You are welcome to submit a full application if you desire. If you have never served on Balfour LTW faculty you need to submit a full application.
To review the requirements and submit an application for consideration as a 2011 Balfour LTW faculty member, click here.
If you have questions about the application process, e-mail Headquarters at email@example.com. To learn more about Balfour LTW, visit balfourltw.sigmachi.org.
2011 Faculty Application Timeline:
Jan. 15, 2011: All faculty applications due.
Feb. 15: Headquarters begins sending out faculty invitations.
March 1: Deadline for accepting 2011 faculty invitation.
March 15: Headquarters notifies remaining applicants on the status of their application.
You can submit your application here: http://events.sigmachi.org/faculty/
December 6, 2010
Sigma Chi Celebrates its 237th Chapter!
The University of Ottawa Sigs became Lambda Theta on Nov. 20
The Fraternity added a new chapter to its history recently. The Lambda Theta chapter at the University of Ottawa was installed on Nov. 20, 2010.
Sigma Chi now has 237 active chapters after the installation of the Lambda Theta chapter at the University of Ottawa.
Lambda Theta is the 10th chapter in Canada and the first chapter installed in Canada in more than 16 years. Representatives from every chapter in the Ontario/Quebec Province participated in the installation and countless other brothers were in attendance at the installation banquet to watch 66th Grand Consul Wayne Tucker, BAYLOR 1985, sign the charter for Sigma Chi’s newest chapter.
For additional information about the newly installed Lambda Theta chapter, please review its website at sigmachitheta.ca or contact Ottawa Consul Andre Geneau, 2011, at firstname.lastname@example.org.